Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Howl by Allen Ginsberg

Wow! I have to admit that the first several times I read this poem I was in complete and utter shock. I couldn't believe some of the phrases that were actually printed in a well-known, and respected poem, "with dreams, with drugs, with waking nightmares, alcohol and cock and endless balls." I don't think I have ever heard anyone say "endless balls" until I read this. Although during my first read I thought "Howl" was confusing, vulgar and essentially just a rambling of words from a drugged out man, I have definitely come to not only understand a little more of the poem but also actually enjoy it. The movie with James Franco helped me understand more of the poem and I think the main reason why I now enjoy it. I though the "documentary" was done extremely well, even though I could have gone without some of the visual aids throughout the movie. I think that those people who don't like this poem should definitely give it another read and try to understand where Ginsberg is coming from. I think that "Howl" was brutally honest, restriction-less, and most importantly Ginsberg is truly writing from his heart. In the movie Ginsberg as played by Franco who said that he never meant for this to be published and seen by the public eye, or how he said it "I wouldn't want my Daddy to see this." I don't know why but I think that that phrase makes this poem all the more special because when people write things that they don't expect anyone else to see it is an entirely different style of writing. Proof of this is Ginsberg's style of writing in "Howl". I really can't describe how much I like this poem. I wouldn't say that I love all of the obscenities or references to gay love, however I do love the honesty and blunt way in which he writes, the poem is literally saturated with the two qualities. Overall I would have to say that I am glad this poem was a part of our curriculum and this could one of the first poems that I have actually enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment